Welcome to 2016-17
Here is a piece I did for a charity auction to benefit the Austin Symphony
I will be teaching 7th and 8th grade art and 6th grade art at West Ridge middle school.
Students will experience ceramics , drawing , painting , scratchboard , printmaking , and an art history component. I am at West Ridge again fulltime but my fruitful collaborations with Ms. Del Hierro ,over at Hill Country Middle School will continue when we meet during inservice .I had a marvelous summer participating in a group show at the Small Gallery in Dallas with 3 paintings and refreshing my etching skills with a course at ACC.I will be having an exhibition at "Strange Brew" in April/May of 2017.
I have been teaching art in the eanes school district since 1985 . I am married and have 4 children all of whom have either graduated from or are currently enrolled in Eanes schools. I have an MFA in painting from the University of Texas and a 30 year exhibition career in the visual arts .I delivered the Paul Hanna Lecture at the Amon Carter Museum in Ft. Worth in 2002 and was a Hunting Art Prize finalist in 2009, to name just two of many exhibitions I have been a part of.. I am also a published poet having poems in the 2009 edition of the "White Pelican Review" and the 2006 spring edition of "Pinyon". I drew the Illustrations for a children's book called "Oh to Glow" in 1991 . So, I have a wide variety of experience in making art to call upon. Ms. Del Hierro and I have had many medal and ribbon winners in the district UIL competitions over the years .
I am particularly charged up this year from .My art History slide shows will have more interesting details than ever. I also completed a particularly satisfying commission for a collector in Florida. I pushed hard exploring several innovative painting techniques several of which I hope to use with my students.Museum trips to the Blanton and the Houston Museum of Fine arts also added to my energy level this year.
I spent the year of 2016 and 2017 painting a series of (modern looking ) Great plains animals , all of which are displayed at "Strange Brew" on Manchaca road in April and May of 2017. I also taught a basic Graphic design course at ACC Northridge.
Click to set HTML
Art 6 , and Art I and II
Instructor: Joshua Kight contact :firstname.lastname@example.org
Art Students at West Ridge middle school , whether they are 6th , 7th or 8th graders will need 3 things to start .
1. A Sketchbook( we use these to practice skills and prepare/brainstorm for projects . ) Students receive a sketchbook grade every 9 weeks.7/8th grade will be expected to have 16 sketches , 5 of those detailed . 6th graders will be expected to have 10 sketches , two of those detailed. A detailed sketch is a 'finished' drawing. There will also be daily assignments .You can buy a sketchbook in the school store or at any art supply store (Michael's , Hobby Lobby ) also Barnes &Noble or even HEB. The sketchbook should be at least 8 1/2"x11" , It should contain drawing paper suitable for pencil and charcoal ( not newsprint or tracing paper)with no lines on the paper. These can also be gotten through the school.
2. Two regular #2 pencils wooden with erasers not mechanical , which will be contributed to a pencil fund that everyone may use.
3. A Ten Dollar art fee cash or check.
Grading : each project will be graded 35% understanding the concept,35% Effort & craftsmanship and 20% creativity, 10% class participation
for the 9 weeks :
50% of the grade is for Project Grades
50% is for daily grades
Late Work:Students will be given a day for each day missed to make up late work.
We will work with as many of the following mediums as We can pack in there...
pen and ink
Linoleum block printing
and anything else that strikes our fancy ...
Art History :
will be a discussion grade. We will watch slide shows that are relevant to the units we are working on and the students will develop their sense of taste by questioning . I minored in art history in graduate school and depend on extensive reading and research to give answers that will hopefully stimulate a lifelong desire to go to art museums and experience the rich culture of visual art that has developed over the centuries.
1. Raise your hand to contribute during the lecture part of the course
3. Be respectful of the other students and the building.
1st offense : discussion with the teacher in the hall.offense documented
2nd offense : discussion with teacher , parents notified , offense is documented
3rd offense : student is sent to the assistant principal.
I am off 5th period during the day for any parents that would like to meet with me.
In November we will be working in clay( the wheel ) in 7th and 8th grade. 6th graders will be finishing up and transitioning to their next part of the rotation which will be keyboarding from art.